Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sao Paulo Day 1

It was an uneventful 10 hour flight from Dallas to Sao Paulo, Brazil. I experienced a three hour time loss, two of which I'll make up when I return. It's sort of Day Light Savings shock therapy. Anyway, I landed at 8:20 a.m this morning (Sat.), but didn't leave the airport until 11:30 a.m. This was after getting through customs, then filing a claim with American for my lost luggage, and waiting for one of our Exec Students to arrive.
It is about a 60K drive (36 miles) into the city, but it can take as long as 2 hours to make this commute because of traffic. Above you can see our view as we entered the City.
Along the way into town there were hundreds of motorcyclists driving between cars and in and out of traffic. It's legal as the result of the Motorcycle industry. Last year, more than 400 motorcyclists were killed (more than one a day) from this crazy way of getting around.
Me in the lobby of the hotel. Funny story about my room. I thought I had no electricity. No one told me that in South American countries it is common to require your room key to be inserted into a power receptacle in your room. By doing so, you turn on your electricity. HA, chalk up another lesson learned by this dumb American. Now I know. This is the view from my room. Nothing spectacular except the warm weather. And below is a picture of a local market. I had to pick up some bottled water to drink in my room. While I've been assured the water is safe for drinking... that's a chance I'm not willing to take on the first day of this 10 day tour. Anyway, what you see in the picture are chocolate products for Easter celebrations. They had aisles of these colorful displays. Now THAT is something I may never see in Iowa... for sure. Now off for a run. Ciao.

No comments: