Monday, April 07, 2008

Umstead 100 Mile Trail Run

The pre-race chaos, minutes before the start of the Umstead 100 Mile Trail Run. Usually this sort of gathering takes place outside, yards away from the start line itself. On this auspicious occasion the drizzle and rain drove us inside where we were packed-in like sardines to cope with our equipment and nerves until the very last second.

As I feared, I should have run a few more miles to train for the Umstead 100 Mile Trail Run. It would have helped. The first 50 went ok, but the NC heat (relative to MN) and humidity (98-100%) quickly began to take their toll. The next 25 miles were a bit more touch-and-go, and my longshot (#3) goal for a 21-22 hour finish were more seriously in doubt and a sub 24 hour time became the target of my desires.

Between miles 75 and 100, the train left the tracks and physical, (bad stomach, dizziness, hypothermia, exhaustion) nutritional (electrolyte, sugar, salt, and water imbalance), mental (all of the above and more) and equipment challanges (lack of dry shoes, socks, and clothing) tempted my overwhelming desire(s) to quit.

In the scope of Maslow's famous Hierarchy of Needs... I'd say I was close to bottom of the pyramid: Basic Survival. My goals were recalculated to the #1 goal for ALL 100 mile runners, and that goal is simply to finish. After some calculated first aid and by helping others (a three-time Badwater Ultramarathon finisher to name one) I managed to help myself slug through the final 12.5 miles to sucessfully cross the finish line in 27 hours and 25 minutes. Oh... did I mention it rained or drizzled for 23 of the 27 hours we were out on the course?
Here is a picture taken on the course which was every bit as beautiful as you see... even in the rain. I finished 65th of 250 starters. The drop rate was reportedly more than 50%. In otherwords more than 50% of the runners who intended to finish the 100 miler either quit or settled for a credit of 50 miles. I conclude with this brief video taken at approximately mile 60.

1 comment:

Weaky6 said...

Sounds like a horse clopping down the road. You still da man! You still da family with the mostess! ;-) By the way, that house would be perfect. Cozy and every bit of space used. That is the way you want it.