Thursday, May 04, 2006

A brave friend

I have a very brave and couragous friend who was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Trust me, this is a very nasty, nasty disease. This young lady's misadventure began in last winter and in February she missed an entire month of her (high school) sophomore year to partner with a team of physicians and battle this wretched monster out of her body.

We all know people who have overcome amazing challenges, but the maturity and fortitude it takes to live with, then tackle this disease is a whole new level of fortitude. I know several "ultra" athletes who think they are some kind of tough. Well let me tell you, the young lady I am writing about today has demonstrated a level of toughness that would make even the most seasoned ultra athelete blush. She is my hero.

Admittedly, I had never heard of this disease until now. However I am familiar with Chrone's disease, and as I've been told, Ulcerative Colitis (sometimes referred to as Inflammatory Bowel Disease - IBD) is a step away... and they are related.

When I found out about her plight (last night), I made it a point to research this illness and learn about IBD so I could at least understand what she has gone through. I can say now that
I understand and am humbled by her fighting spirit and maturity.

So in her honor, the Taylor Family has donated $50 to the Chrones and Colitis Foundation of America, and we ask our friends, family, and/or passers-by to take a moment and learn about this disease. A cure will start with awareness, and awareness is the least we can do to demonstrate our support of such a brave young lady.

Mel... please know there are many people like me who (even from a distance) unwittingly admire your courage and bravery. You are a hero and inspiration. keep on keepin' on. -a.t.

No comments: