Thursday, April 21, 2011

Koko Taylor, June 1995 - April 2011

Koko joined Raisa earlier today to terrorize the great dog house in the Sky. She was almost 16 years old and lived a full, and mostly happy life... except for that porcupine incident.

She was an anniversary gift for Sidetrack back in 1995. Beaner was one year old and we were expecting Peanut six months later. Chalupa, Peanut, Big Dog, Truman and Tootsie have never known life without Koko being a part of it.

Koko was a very sweet girl who endeared herself to many people including J.A. Mandy, and a host of neighbors (Mentings, Reeves, Chadimas, and Larsons). Her travels took her to Texas, Wisconsin, Minnesota and back to Iowa, where she calls home. Along the way she spent a few nights in the woods, loved to swim and had the occasional run-in with local "authorities".

But at the end of the day, she was always home with us. We will remember her fondly, and miss her dearly. RIP Koko. And so it goes....

4 comments:

C. P. said...

I'll never forget visiting you guys in Austin, TX. You picked me up at the airport, drove me to your home, and upon stepping into your kitchen I listened to call after call on the answering machine from your neighbors, "I think I just saw your dogs pass through our yard on their way to _____..." I'm guessing KoKo and Raisa are bustin' their way out of some kennel as I write this.

Brandon said...

Cool blog, I subscribed. Would you mind following mine too?

Toni said...

My heart goes out to you. I have had 6 labs in my life. Three black and 3 yellow. Four males and two females. Absolutely the most wonderful companions in the world. They are all missed and when the family gathers round there are always stories about Hawkeye, Cedar, Chablis, Bear, Paco and Cassie Moses. So hard to let them go.

Anonymous said...

Been there and am facing this time again as our older Gordon Setter begins to age.

Like you we have been fortunate to have been owned by dogs.