Sunday, September 10, 2006

ST 100 - Epiloge


So what can I say? Perhaps the best analogy I've come up with is this... I went up North to bag a bear and I only came back with deer. After 15 and a half hours of some of the most amazing trail in the United States, I pulled my own number at 51 miles. Of course there is an element of disappointment, but this is greatly overshadowed by sense of accomplishment and the terrific experience.

The bottom line; I was ill-prepared for the ruggedness of the course which was much more technically rough than I imagined. The roots and rocks would be tough enough on a generally level trail, but combined with the Superior Trail's steep and never-ending climbs and decents my leg-strength was short lived.

By mile 45 I was suffering from some dehydration despite drinking more than 40 oz of water every 2 hours or so. In addition to that, my appitite was failing so I was unable to take in the calories necessary to keep going and heat my body during an increasingly chilly night. By the time we reached the aid station at 51 miles, I was beginning to suffer from early signs of hypothermia with constant chills and shakes... I'm afraid the fleece sweats in my drop bag were too little too late.

So, after some deliberate soul searching I determined that I didn't want "it" enough to suffer for what promised to be 20+ more hours of shuffling, stubbed toes, agonizing climbs, excruciating decents and several other potential malady's.

I am satisfied with completing 51 miles, and thanks to Diane and Greg these were by far some of the most enjoyable 50 miles I've ever experienced. Last we saw Greg, he was held back at the 44 mile aide station for medical reasons. As for Diane, the youngest of the competitors, she was strong enough to continue the back half of the race... another 51 miles to the finish line. At the time of this post... the results of thier efforts remain unknown.

... [editor's note: two days later. Results have been posted and regretfully Diane and Greg also dropped]

No comments: