Monday, April 24, 2006

Just Moments Before...



Ahhh, the highlight of my day.
After a gradifying mug o' joe;
Minutes before the start of summer's running season
and the gun for a 50K trail run;
Before 8 miles and many reasons to return next year;
Before the sharp, jagged, searing pain in my left calf;
Before hobbling like a doomed rotent
waiting to feed a larger beast
for seven additional miles of humility;
Before divorcing myself from bib number 38
after completing only half of my intended distance;
Before reaching two grim realizations:
One, my summer running plans will requre drastic adjustments;
and two, this moment (as captured above),
a mere three hours earlier,
would be the highlight of my day.
Thankfully, there will be other days,
other higlights,
and many more moments
at which to shake a fist.

Weekly Mileage
18 (YTD 343)

1 comment:

C. P. said...

8 miles of hobbling + 7 miles of walking = 15 miles of character building